Thursday, November 17, 2005

With Apologies to Ohio

A recent letter to The Times-Picayune from a fellow traveller in Baton Rouge:

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

When Lafcadio Hearn moved to New Orleans in the 1870s, he wrote to a friend back in Cincinnati: "Times are not good here. The city is crumbling into ashes. It has been buried under a lava flood of taxes and frauds and maladministrations so that it has become only a study for archaeologists. Its condition is so bad that when I write about it, as I intend to do soon, nobody will believe I am telling the truth. But it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes, than to own the whole state of Ohio."

Yes.

C. Ward Bond
Baton Rouge

3 comments:

Murph said...

God bless Lafcadio Hearn, and George Washington Cable while we're at it, not to mention the Loyola profs who teach them.

oyster said...

I finally "discovered" Lafcadio Hearn just last year. Better late than never, I suppose.

Murph said...

Dude, Lafcadio is sooooo 1999.