Friday, December 09, 2005

What's it gonna be boy, yes or . . . ?


The Times-Picayune published today a piece that ran in the Los Angeles Times two days ago. (Thanks to Schroeder for linking to this almost immediately.) Mike Tidwell writes that we should all immediately move away from NOLA:

We should call it quits not because New Orleans can't be made relatively safe from hurricanes. It can be. And not because to do so is more trouble than it's worth. It's not. Instead, the hammers and brooms and chain saws should all be put away and the city permanently boarded up because the Bush administration has already given New Orleans a quiet kiss of death.
It's time for the President and the Republican leadership to live up to their titles ("chief executive" and "leaders") and say unequivocally that we're going to make this work. We are going to use cutting edge, revolutionary methods to restore and resurrect a world class city and region that has been an incubator, a cultural rainforest, for so much of what makes America great. That needs to happen NOW. Flood barriers, restored wetlands, the whole works.

We Gulf Coasters will do the work here. We deserve honest treatment from our government. The President promised a lot, and it's time to make it happen. (Actually, it's past time.) We are living a sick, love-free version of Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light":

Bush/Republicans: Let me sleep on it. Baby, baby let me sleep on it. Let me sleep on it. I'll give you an answer in the morning.
NOLA: I gotta know right now.
Bush/Republicans: Let me sleep on it.
NOLA: Do you love me? Will you love me forever?
Bush/Republicans: Baby, baby let me sleep on it.
NOLA: Do you need me? Will you never leave me?
Bush/Republicans: Let me sleep on it.

Meanwhile, businesses bleed money, insurance companies dither about whether to write policies, and class and racial animosity become possibilities as finger-pointing begins. Leadership can change all of that. Without passionate, courageous leadership, good people turn into finger-pointers. When we're all pointing fingers forward to the promised land, we're not pointing at each other.

A better song for us to be living out would be "Baby, It's Cold Outside." We really can't stay (we're at least as Caribbean as we are American), but we really do want to.

1 comment:

Schroeder said...

Wow! That's original!

Even if I were thinking songs, I doubt Meatloaf would ever cross my mind -- although I have to admit, turdblossom does bear a resemblance to the lead singer.