Saturday, January 07, 2006

World Class Unity; the wisdom of Junior

What a great day yesterday (wish I had been there)! All the former mayors of New Orleans joined the current regional chief executives, congressional delegates, and the New Orleans City Council for a unity day.

Other sources can document and analyze the details. Here's the one that gets my attention. Junior Rodriguez, president of St. Bernard Parish (where I used to work and home of so many people I love), said the following:
I seen them rich boys crying for trailers.... Them rich boys is all trailer-trash now. What Katrina did, baby, she brought us all down to the same level.

The NIMBY people in Orleans, Jefferson, and St. Tammany really need to think about that. Those of us with unflooded houses got lucky, period. The river wasn't far from overtopping its levees; if it had, Uptown would have Lower Ninth style devastation.

Despite all of the problems, I sense good things coming very soon. We're going to get it right here, and then people are going to want to come back or move here for the first time.

Had some King Cake last night. Tasted real good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The river wasn't far from overtopping its levees."

I can find no evidence that the Mississippi was anywhere near the 20 ft. flood stage (or the 17 foot action stage). At New Orleans it was probably below half that.

Can you provide a source for this information?

Mr. Clio said...

Thanks for asking the question. It led me to some cool stuff. See the next post.