Thursday, April 06, 2006

I Can't Make Sense of So Much Loss


Gavin Mahlie died Tuesday morning. If you've seen a play in New Orleans in the past 15 years, there's a good chance he was in it. I've seen him in countless plays as part of Tulane's Shakespeare Festival.

I'm stunned. I met him very briefly a couple of times. I didn't realize how important he was in my cultural mindscape until the story and his picture jumped out of the Metro of the T-P today and slugged me in the face.

He and I were at Loyola at the same time in the mid-1980s. Didn't know him then.

I loved this man's work. He and folks like Tony Molina played beautifully off of one another in so many plays I saw.

I don't know what to say. This is a loss. This is a loss.

I know that part of life is loss and death, but when is the pendulum going to swing back in NOLA and get us some serious, joy-filled life again?

No comments: