Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The Times-Picayune Doesn't Get ABIEMO

The Times-Picayune has endorsed a majority of the sitting City Council members. This is a shocking and deeply disappointing development.

Here's my response:
Katrina and its aftermath have caused or revealed your newspaper to be something of which New Orleans can be proud. Why, then, would you revert to Stone Age politics by endorsing four of the seven sitting City Council members?

The sitting Council is part of what got us to where we were. We don’t want a majority voice for incompetence and shortsightedness anymore.

Since the storm, every single council member has been an embarrassment in some way. Remember: when the city was still trying to get basic services up, these people took time to endorse a particular candidate for general manager of the Saints. Mr. Batt and Mrs. Clarkson in particular have displayed reprehensible “not in my backyard” characteristics. Ms. Hedge Morrell has endorsed a head-in-the-sand approach to how our neighborhoods ought to rebuild.

Please: anybody but the incumbents, except maybe Oliver Thomas.

Sincerely,
Mr. Clio

4 comments:

Lady Morwen said...

I can go for keeping Oliver Thomas, but the rest must be shackled and their mouths duct-taped, put on a piroutte, and sent down MR GO.

I'll shed no tears.

Tim said...

Out with the old!

I haven't decided who to vote for yet, but I know who I will not be voting for.

Peace,

Tim

Mr. Clio said...

I may well vote against Oliver too. But he's the only one I'd consider at all (hence the "maybe.")

Anonymous said...

That letter was cery well said. If only they would actually print it.