Monday, May 22, 2006

Brief Election Comments

I haven't had much to say about the local elections, but I'll try to summarize:

1. Sugar Ray Nagin was re-elected, and the sun still rose yesterday morning. Get to work, Ray! Show that you can play well with others! He's our mayor, and I'm going to push hard, but I'm also going to defend him to out-of-state people who are Smarter Than We Are. The stereotype of Louisiana politicians is that they're corrupt. I don't think Ray is corrupt.

2. Contrary to what the Times-Picayune wanted, we now have a majority NEW City Council. This is incredibly exciting. The Council--not the Mayor--was the major source of problems before the storm, and we should congratulate ourselves for doing our job of running the rascals out. I'm giving New Orleans East and Gentilly a pass for re-electing the two Cynthias. They've been fighting for their completely devastated neighborhoods, and I can understand why they didn't go for the ABIEMO strategy. To everyone (including me): keep an eye on your council person. Make them do what we want them to do.

1 comment:

ashley said...

Despite my initial disappointment, you're right. And the new council is pretty much all ABIEMO. My guess is the council will be much less corrupt, but the citizens have to watch them like hawks.