Thursday, August 17, 2006

As I Was Saying . . .

While checking the city's website yesterday in order to find out if I can register my 11-year-old for football, I found this little gem of a press release title: New Orleans Mayor Moving Forward with 100 Day Plan. When I wrote about moving forward, I hadn't seen that.

P.S. Just to show you where we are, I called the NORD number listed on the city website yesterday evening, hoping for an information recording. I got this "The Nextel subscriber you are trying to reach is not available . . ." NORD's on a cell phone? NORD? Whoa.

That actually doesn't shock me too much. What bothers me is the way this press release reads. Just go to your "area playground" and sign up for football. Do you really believe that every "area playground" had officials and volunteers waiting for eager families a couple of Saturdays ago? I'm not knocking NORD. I'm knocking da Mayor and his silly press releases.

UPDATE: Yesterday, a very polite and professional woman named Brenda answered the NORD phone line. I went to the NORD office at 800 Race Street (at a playground across the street from the Saulet complex) and filled out a registration form. She said they would get it to the right person.

She was great, but given the state of things, I wonder where this is going. I hope it works. My son really would like to play football this fall, and it would be a great blessing to be able to do it in World Class New Orleans.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Did you find something? My wife is convinced our 11 year old is going to keep over and die if he tries to suit up in this heat. He played full pads the last two years in Fargo, and it's going to be kind of a sad Fall not to see him stride out onto the gridiron.

drop me a line to markfolseATrocketmailDOTcom and let me now what you found out.

Where is your son going to school?