Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Bad Pictures of Something Great, or Smells Like Team Spirit



My work took me driving past the Sacredome today, on Girod Street. My jaw dropped when I noticed that the massive garage door was open, and I COULD SEE THE FIELD. AND THE SEATS.

I pulled over.

I got out of my illegally parked car, and I snapped these pictures with my limited-ability cell phone camera.

But the best part was the smell.

It smelled like . . .

The Louisiana Superdome. I smelled air conditioning and artificial turf and plastic seats and spilled Coke and whatever else it is that Superdome smells like.

It smelled better than any pine forest you could show me.

It didn't smell like death or excrement or suffering.

It smelled like resurrection.

It's resurrection because there really was death and suffering there, and I will never forget that. Most of all, I will remember that on September 25.

But resurrection is about real life after a real death. And that's what we're building here.

We're going to do a lot of building on September 25.

P. S. Yes, that's a Budweiser truck that was being unloaded. There was also a Coke truck. Dillyberto prefers Miller Lite at Saints games, but it's good to see that priorities are in order for preparing the facility.

3 comments:

Big__Shot said...

I keep hearing about the renovated concession stands in the Dome. Could it that there will be Dome Foam options? Abita Seasonals, too? I'll drink any brew at the Dome, except for Coors Light. Can't support the Coors family. Those nuts.

Calvin Peete said...

A guy stood over his tee shot for what seemed an eternity, looking up, looking down, measuring the distance, figuring the wind direction and speed. He was driving his partner nuts. Finally his exasperated partner says, "What's taking so long? Hit the blasted ball!"

The guy answers, "My wife is up there watching me from the clubhouse. I want to make this a perfect shot."

"Forget it, man," said his partner, "you don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of hitting her from here!"

The Unknown Comic said...

A guy walks into a bar with his pet dog. The bartender says, "No pets allowed."
The man replied, "This is a special dog. Turn on the Saints game and you'll see."
The bartender, anxious to see what will happen, turns on the game. The guy says, "Watch. Whenever the Saints score, my dog does flips." The Saints keep scoring field goals and the dog keeps flipping and jumping.

"Wow! That's one helluva dog you got there! What happens when the Saints score a touchdown?"

The man replied, 'I don't know. I've only had him for 3 years!'