Thursday, October 19, 2006

As I Was Just Saying . . .

Re: The Unspeakable Crime

When New Orleanians move elsewhere and commit crimes, critics elsewhere ascribe it to the crime problem in New Orleans.

When people from elsewhere (in the case above, Los Angeles) move to New Orleans and commit crimes, critics elsewhere ascribe it to the crime problem in New Orleans.

If I were Sheriff Jack Strain, I'd start getting all self-righteous about how we're not going to let Californians come here and hack up women, because that's just not the way we do things in New Orleans. And I'd say that if you're driving a car with California plates, you can rest assured you will be pulled over and questioned.

Or if I were a certain city council woman from Houston, I'd start getting all uppity and talking about how New Orleans is a "workin' town," and we don't have time to hack up women.

But I'm not Sheriff Jack, and I'm not a certain city council woman from Houston, and New Orleans isn't St. Tammany or Houston. Those are fine places, but we don't want to be them.

New Orleans is a World Class City. We're horrified by barbaric behavior, but we're not going to start casting aspersions on entire populations of people because of the unspeakably evil behavior of one deeply disturbed man.

New Orleans is not a country club. We'll take anybody who wants to join our groove in peace and dignity.

3 comments:

GentillyGirl said...

Bravo! Yes, yes, freakin' YES!!!!

Marco said...

Point well made about which city owns the crime.

Percy Honnibal said...

Not all Percy's are as well-dressed as me.