Friday, October 06, 2006

Proof We Still Have the Magical Weirdness

Okay, so we may be a city proper of only 185,000 at this point (please note the large margin of error in that survey, and I actually agree with Mayor Curly that the number should be higher), but signs abound that we still have what much larger cities can only wish for.

To wit:

1. I was in Kinko's on Tchoupitoulas yesterday. I saw the following:
A. A college-age African-American woman wearing a Lynyrd Skynyrd T-shirt (complete with the Confederate flag in the background).

B. A well-dressed, older Caucasian woman who rolled her Winn-Dixie basket full of groceries right into the middle of Kinko's to take care of her business there.

2. We are having trouble getting Clio II to go to school (he's in ninth grade). So today, (up early and unable to sleep), in hopes of providing an incentive for Clio II to get up, I took the 10-minute drive to the Quarter to pick up some beignets. On the way back, I flipped the radio to FM 100.3, the Cajun station. There were Cajun ladies reciting the Rosary in French at 5:45 a.m.

3. For a long time after our return to the city last October, New Orleans felt very small and very unpopulated. It doesn't feel that way anymore. There is no longer a near guarantee that I'll see someone I know at a public event or store. I don't know everything that's going on in town. I don't live under the illusion that I understand everybody here. That feels really good. Even if all our people aren't back yet, the city has the feel of a large, complex, unpredictable landscape. The city feels so much bigger than my mental landscape.

4. Morgus is back. On his myspace site, he offers the following apology, which is a classic:
At any rate I must apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused you by last summer's unusual weather. Just between you and me, I'm afraid that Chopsley and I may have been partially responsible. You see, in mid-August last year, I was working very hard on a new invention, ingeniously designed to repel Hurricanes from the Gulf Coast. Thus repelled, the offending Hurricanes would instead rush off to Latin America or the Carribbean, leaving me free to work on my experiments uninterrupted.

The only flaw in my otherwise brilliant design for the "Hurricane - Repello- Matic 3000" was in creating two settings for the machine: One for Repel, the other for Attract. During the first test of my device on August 28th 2005, Chopsley set the dial on Attract and the rest as they say (ahem) is history.

4 comments:

celcus said...

I have a friend who was displaced by the storm to the west coast. He came back to collect his things in early October of last year and left completely depressed. It just wasn't the same NO. He retunred again in December and was pleasantly surprised to find NO was back to being the city he loved, again. Now he is trying to lay the groundwork to move back.

It is hard to gauge the progress while your surrounded by it, but you are right, somewhere along the line the camp of survivors alone the river turned into a city again.

What I find odd is how many (and we all know more than our share) of people living here are throwing in the towel and movin away, while an awful lot of people I know still living in other cities seem to want to come back, particularly after coming for a visit.

saintseester said...

We saw those Morgus billboards around town and had NO FREAKIN' idea what they were for. Now that I've visited the website, I still have no idea what it is...

Karen said...

Add this to your list of getting back to normal, Woman spotted in Maple Street Cafe eating lunch in her Nightgown and Slippers.

oyster said...

Regarding A. and B.: I love this town.

Also, I saw Morgus last nite. Things in the lab were going... awry