Wednesday, January 31, 2007

17th Street Root Canal


I was in raw agony, the worst pain I've ever experienced as a human, for three days. Then yesterday I visited Dr. Lisa Germain, who said the sweet words, "You need a root canal."

Sweet words? Well, consider that this meant she was going to inject vast quantities of numbing elixir into my mouth. Consider that until I walked into her office, I considered head amputation to be a viable treatment for what I was experiencing. Consider that I was remembering with relish the scene in "Castaway" in which Tom Hanks becomes his own dentist using an ice skate.

An hour later, I was the lion who has had the thorn removed from his paw. I am becoming emotional as I type this, such is the relief I am experiencing.

Dr. Germain labeled me a "true dental emergency," saying that she gets about one of those per month. I was Mr. January. Thank you, Dr. Germain.

NOTE: My trivial root canal is nothing compared to the battle being waged at NO Pickles. Go cheer that man on. He's a tough mofo, but allies in his war can only help.

6 comments:

Brian Bordelon said...

Anything involving the teeth can only hurt. Glad you got that taken care of, my friend. I pulled a few rotten teeth out on the rig, but never had to dig too deep. Those Canadian oil rig worker/hockey barbarians cried like babies with that pain too, even with lidocaine and morphine. Ah, the glory days of unsupervised clinical medicine in the Gulf. Now I have to check each week to see if my health care coverage will pay for the sharp needles at the chemo clinic.

mary from P & J said...

Can you put Popeye's in the blender?

Maybe you should just eat oysters for a couple of days.

clover grill said...

We gotta shake you can't resist

ashley said...

I just had a short vacation, Roy.

I spent it getting a root canal.

Oh, how'd you like it?

It ain't that pretty at all.

Puddinhead said...

Eeeewwww.......I've got two, on adjacent teeth, scheduled for later this month. I'll let you know, but I have a feeling the pain in the jaw will be outweighed by the pain in the wallet...

Craig Wiseman said...

Glad you're feeling better.
Interesting...
Benjamin had a root canal on Tuesday. Guess it's the week for 'em.....