Friday, January 19, 2007

Some Purging

So that I can go into the weekend with world class positive energy, I need to get rid of a bit of the negative:

1. Mr. NO Pickles reminds us that Chicago-area Republican Congressman Dennis Hastert wanted us blotted off the map, and said so when there were still bodies floating in our streets. Representing an area of our country that regularly is ravaged by tornadoes and literally lethal cold weather, Mister Hastert said that New Orleans should be plowed under. (And don't split hairs by saying that he just meant most of the city, not all of it. We're a family here; if you take on one of us, you take on all of us.) When I had lunch with a man in Chicago a few months ago, he suggested the same thing to me: plow most of New Orleans under. Do you see what bad leadership does? It metastasizes. (NOTE: When he said this, Mister Hastert was Speaker of the House and only a few heartbeats from the presidency.)

Let's all remember Mister Hastert on Sunday. If he's not in the stadium Sunday, Mister Hastert will probably be watching the game in a Ruth's Chris steakhouse and talking about how the Bears are moving forward.

UPDATE: (Thanks, Oystah) Not only do Chicagoans live in a land with lethal wind and cold; the heat kills people by the hundreds there as well.

2. Chicago gave us the Mike Ditka era in New Orleans. Remember that. Need I say more?

3. The T-P reports that a big sign in the Bears' locker room reads "Play Angry." Ha. Ask Deuce about playing angry. Ask him as he runs over your face. Ask him as you're getting into the Bentley that has made your life so hard.

Know what helps one play angry? Watching a natural disaster get superseded by a manmade disaster in the city where you earn your living.

Deuce. Up. Side-yo-haid, I say Deuce-upside-yo haid.

Thus endeth the angry incoherence.

8 comments:

LatinTeacher said...

HELL YEAH! GO SAINTS! I will have a sign in one of the end zones. You will know it when you see it...

jeffrey said...

I'm going out of my head this morning. I feel like Cartman in that episode where he had himself frozen to avoid having to wait 3 weeks for the Nintendo Wii. Don't expect much liberry-ing to get done today.

oyster said...

Arguably, the recent summers have been are more lethal than the winters in Chicago.

Link!

Brian Bordelon said...

Well said, as always. I will be sporting the sign in the end zone. I am in row 1. I doubt Fox will have the balls to put me on television, though.

Mike Ditka....ugh....bad vibes when I read that....

Michelle said...

Anger good. Bears bad.

saintseester said...

Deuce-upside-yo-haid.

I'm stealing that. Think I'll design new t-shirt. Proceeds will go toward buying rounds of bloody marys next season.

saintseester said...

Here it is, there is even a sleeveless version for showing off those new tats. www.cafepress.com/godeuce

Inforgmation said...

I happened to be in Chicago during the "1995 Chicago heat wave" doing some research, walking and taking public transit around the city. I thought, "Hm, they have summers here like down south" without thinking it anything unusual for several days before I turned on the local news and found it was an historic heat wave.

A friend moved down to New Orleans many years ago after a winter in Chicago. He told the story of walking to the convenience store down the block in the dead of winter when his nose froze shut. His lungs and throat ached with the cold when he entered the store-- and he realized that if the store had been closed, the weather probably would have killed him before got back home.

Chicago: How can people LIVE in such a place? Sounds to me like most of it ought to be buldozed...
Hey, Chicago's elected official gets to say it about us....

:-)