Friday, February 23, 2007

Mojo

Look, this is World Class New Orleans, after all. I've got to exude some positive.

I don't know what it is, but I'm feeling some good stuff in the air. (Yeah, I know the weather's been amazing, so that might be the sum total of the mojo I'm feeling.)

But let's just suppose good stuff is happening, thanks to the exuberance and tenacity of citizens, but no thanks to much that the gubmint does.

Napoleon from Claiborne to Fontainebleau looks amazing--a new old neighborhood, thanks to people working hard. Carnival was just awesome this year, and people are still feelin' it. We did it, y'all--from the krewes to da people in da street. It felt great and wonderful and truly ours--we just knew no other city was feelin' what we felt like over the past couple of weeks.

Yes, we're still hosed. Today I watched Ivor van Heerden on Cox public access channel 10 doing his presentation to St. Bernard Parish a couple of weeks ago. We're still not ready for a hurricane, thanks to a pathetic president and a late-to-the-party Corps.

But there's still something special here, and we're getting our thing back, whatever that is.

No comments: