Thursday, February 01, 2007

What a Voice! THANKS HOUSTON (for real, this time)

My favorite lines from the NY Times's obituary for Molly Ivins:

After Patrick J. Buchanan, as a conservative candidate for president, declared at the 1992 Republican National Convention that America was engaged in a cultural war, she said his speech "probably sounded better in the original German."
---------------
Even her friends marveled at how quickly she could drop her Texas voice for what they called her Smith voice. Sometimes she combined the two, as in: "The sine qua non, as we say in Amarillo."
---------------
In 1976, her writing, which she said was often fueled by "truly impressive amounts of beer," landed her a job at The New York Times. She cut an unusual figure in The Times newsroom, wearing blue jeans, going barefoot and bringing in her dog, whose name was an expletive.


Ms. Ivins had just the right voice, humane but sharp as hell.

By the way, does anybody know what she called her dog?

5 comments:

Marco said...

She was full of piss and vinegar. Like you said a great voice. The politicians are resting more easily today.

ashley said...

This is polite company, so she called her dog sit.

jeffrey said...

I can't remember a time when I didn't read her columns regularly. One of my all time favorite people. I am profoundly sad to see her go.

Mr. Clio said...

I suspected that was the name. Thanks for confirming. I hope Oyster doesn't get any ideas from that name.

ashley said...

From my buddy, Nancy Nall:

"I worked for her when she was the bureau chief in Denver for the NYT. She used to borrow my clothes and give me a beer on the way out of her home office, a “roader.” She had this dog named Shit, but if she thought you were someone who would be offenced, she called her Sit. A Texas Shithound, she said."