Sunday, March 04, 2007

Putting 2 and 2 Together


As I said in the last post, this Sunday's T-P is a significant one.

Read this line from the Last Chance article:

"We had opportunities in the 1980s to really stop this, to get ahead of the curve. And people still don't seem to realize this isn't something we can wait on. While we were arguing over what to do, the process was gaining speed."

I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of that bit of analysis.

Then read about Edwin Edwards in prison. While we were squandering an oil boom during his reign in the 1970s and laughing through his restoration in the 1980s and 1990s, our coastline was disappearing.

With all due respect to the Krewe du Vieux, Screw you, Edwin Edwards.

2 comments:

TravelingMermaid said...

I second that. I'll never forget one day on the noon news Phil Johnson gave an editorial....I don't remember exactly what he was talking about but I DO remember his last line: "Edwin Edwards may be a rascal but he's OUR rascal."
I wanted to puke.

bayoustjohndavid said...

I made a similar comment at Jeffrey's once, asking him how he could defend Edwards. The way I see it, we've had two governors with the pull to even attempt to address the problem since we've been aware of the problem. I don't know how anyone, Republican or Democrat, can say anything decent about either Edwards or Foster. Of course, part of the reason that Roemer was a one-termer was that he tried to address environmental issues including loss of wetlands.