Monday, April 23, 2007

Black Swans aloft.

I have recently picked up Nassim Nicholas Taleb's newest book, The Black Swan.
As he lays out in this precursor piece, http://www.fooledbyrandomness.com/nyt.htm , a Black Swan is a highly improbable event that takes place with great consequence. Anyone had one of those in your life recently?
The book is not an easy read, and it will, if it is successful, become Umberto Eco like in its being referenced knowingly my many who have not taken the time to read every arid word of the tome.
Rest assured, between now and all the flights to get me to Jazz Fest, I will polish off the next dozen chapters and give you the WCNO synopsis.
See ya at the grassy knoll.

3 comments:

oyster said...

Awesome! I've been waiting for this to come out. "Fooled by Randomness" was one of the best books I've read in recent years.

It's on my "get smart quick" reading list.

Mr. Clio said...

Just read the review in the WSJ. I feel like I now have homework for your visit, Comrade Mel.

Off to Octavia Books to look for a black swan.

oyster said...

Ray has one. But not the kind you can borrow.