Friday, June 08, 2007

What I Learned from William Jefferson's Statement About His Innocence

1. I begin with the paragraph that begins "In a few days Andrea and I will celebrate our 37th Wedding Anniversary. We are the parents of five children . . ."

Jefferson then goes on to list the impressive schools from which his children have graduated.

What I learned in this paragraph is how the children of a Harvard graduate and successful politician can get into prominent universities.

Don't get me wrong: William Jefferson's story of coming from a disadvantaged background to go on to be a Harvard graduate is impressive. However, his children's stories fail to inspire me. Legacy status and daddy's connections are amazing things. Lots of really smart kids go to LSU and Loyola and Rollins College. Really smart kids with connections go to Harvard and Brown.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, his children's stories are irrelevant to his guilt or innocence vis-a-vis the charges against him.

2. From the following three paragraphs, I learned that the government has a lot of resources and a history of sometimes bringing charges that are not true.

AGAIN, I have no idea how this relates to Mr. Jefferson's guilt or innocence.

3. In the next paragraph (which begins "The people of my district know this"), Mr. Jefferson tells me what I know. I am in his district, and I must disagree. I do not know that he is above reproach.

4. Finally, in the last few paragraphs, Mr. Jefferson gets to the charges. He admits he made mistakes in judgment. (That's not really helpful. I made a mistake in judgment by believing that the Saints would beat the Bears and reach the Super Bowl. Is this the kind of mistake in judgment to which he refers?)

He also says that the $90,000 (I assume the money from his freezer) was from the FBI. If so, why didn't he bring it straight to the Times-Picayune???? Or to a blogger like Oyster? They could have told his story.

I have to stop now. I'm getting nauseous.

No comments: