Thursday, July 05, 2007

iMr. Clio

So today I engaged in indulgence (perhaps of a healthy sort) by purchasing at lunchtime an iPod Nano and the Nike running shoes plus chip that allows one to track one's workout on the Nano.

I charged the Nano up while I was at work, headed home for dinner, then went to the 7:30 show of "Sicko" at Canal Place. The movie was sheer enjoyment for me, even with Dr. Mrs. Clio saying "I've been saying this stuff for a long time" through much of the film (she loved it too, as did Clio III, at 12 years old).

Anyway, I came home and went for a 10 p.m. run with my new indulgence. Oh wow. Is this setup cool! And you can upload automatically to a Nike website that charts your pace for you and everything. I'm hooked.

Anyway, my new technoindulgence, plus the movie, led me to this vision on my run. When the Republican healthcare "plan" takes full effect, which I expect any day now, we will all end up as Soylent Green. The one good thing about this scenario is that just before we are turned into food, we get to see a nice film and hear great music. And this is where my vision comes in.

When it's my turn to become food for my fellow human beings, they will be showing a long, slow-motion Saints highlight film in the theater, and one of the songs playing will be "Soldier Girl" by the Polyphonic Spree.

This is what watching a movie about our barbaric healthcare "system" and then running with technology did to me.

That is all.

2 comments:

saintseester said...

I wish I could stick with my running program long enough to justify the technology, fred.

Leigh C. said...

heh...That means I can fulfill my namesake destiny in the Leigh Taylor-Young role of the real life "Soylent Green".

However, I don't even want to THINK of who will take on the Charlton Heston role...