Monday, October 01, 2007

What's the Opposite of Schadenfreude?

1. Way to go, Angels! Now, let's take it one game at a time and slowly dismantle the Boston Red Sox.

2. The Cal Bears are creeping up on that lesser school to the south. The Bears have a smart coach, a Heisman-quality receiver, a fun running back to watch, a gorgeous place to play, and a classy fan base. (How's that, JSTB?) That's gonna be a great showdown, and I think USC looks sketchy.

3. I spoke to some Californians over the weekend who have sent their son here to New Orleans for college. It's not scientific, but I keep talking to Californians who "get it" and understand what's going on here and what went on here. I also keep talking to Midwesterners who have no clue and seem full of self-righteous contempt. I guess Californians understand what it is to live with the whims of nature, and then we can help them understand living and dying because of the incompetence and corruption of government. Midwesterners? Many seem to live the myth of self-reliance. The point is, thanks to the Californians who get it and who will not give up on us.

4. I am really enjoying the Fats Domino tribute album that I downloaded from iTunes.

5. My friend just sent me this link. It's Deuce's thank-you to the city, which ran on the entire back page of yesterday's sports section in the T-P.

5 comments:

angels, saints, and bears oh my said...

Now that is more like it! I need all the support I can get here. I am beyond excited about the Bears but I think that the good Lord gave me a bye week so that I could concentrate all my mojo on the Angels. I am nervous about this match up but I always figured that the road to the World Series would go through the Boston.
Here's hoping that we can win one in Fenway before we head home to some of the best fans in the county (right up there with Saints fans)who have helped the Halos accumulate the best home record in baseball.

ashley said...

Dulymus is pure class.

bigshot said...

Deuce is an extraordinary man. I do believe he will come back. I have to believe.

Leigh C. said...

Californians do get it. The rest of this country will have to get it if the Big One hits California so badly as to destroy everything within a few hundred miles of the San Andreas. Over 30 million people will be looking for a new place to live, most likely. And where will they go? The Midwest. God help them Left Coasters...

Ray said...

I get how hard that "one game at a time" thing can be. Maybe they'll just wait and get a good fresh start on it Thursday. They'll make Goofy and Pluto proud one of these years, you'll see.