Saturday, January 26, 2008

My Bridge's Days May Be Numbered (Yes!)



According the map above, published with this front-page article from the T-P, work will commence (and, I hope, be completed) on my street. You see, my street currently has no drainage. I don't mean "bad drainage." I mean NO drainage. There are no drains--none, zero--for when the rain comes. My house was built sometime in the 1880s, and we have the same drainage here that existed when horses and carts were traversing my neighborhood. Quaint, but not world class.

When we moved here in 2003, we realized the problem: a hard rain means that we can't even get to the sidewalk or street without going through ankle-deep (sometimes mid-calf deep) water. Thus, within a week of moving in, I had built The Bridge, which has been a fixture in our block. Everybody hates that we need it, but nobody complains when they avoid having to put on galoshes or going barefoot to get to their car. (The people at Guy's PoBoys call it The Bridge Over the River Kwai.)

I recently upgraded The Bridge with hanging flower boxes. Right now it has purple, green, and gold pansies, in honor of Mardi Gras. We'll change over to some kind of springtime flower for Easter in March.

Pictures are below. If the city does in fact install real drainage for our street this year, I plan to have a block party, with NOPD and NOFD on hand. I want to burn the bridge in the middle of the street.



4 comments:

Leigh C. said...

And where will the bridge go if the drainage improves? Into the widening of the Huey P.?

Leigh C. said...

Oh, never mind. I just saw where you wanna burn that bridge. Maybe you can get Denis Leary to start it up...

GentillyGirl said...

Love the bridge! I should have built one here at the hovel to cross Lake Marais when we moved in.

daneeta loretta said...

Hilarious and sad at the same time. Hopefully NOLA will become world class before this time, but I imagine you with grandchild on knee telling him how it used to be when paw paw had to walk across a bridge just to get to the road from the house. "That was what it was like in my day, sonny boy."