Monday, May 19, 2008

Bike Patrol Friendly City

New Orleans is finally starting to live up to its world class status in other areas by carving out space for bikes on major thoroughfares. I find it fascinating that the first such path will be on St. Claude Avenue, which was precisely the path that Berto used to take to work every day on a bike from UPTOWN to MERAUX. (No, that's no typo.)

My neighbor's son has commuted to work by bike for years from Slidell to Michoud.

Cheers to those who will use these paths and who already use the sacred bicycle to do important things like go to work and go to Saints games.

For those of you in the United States, a bicycle is a two-wheeled vehicle that uses human leg power and not fossil fuels for propulsion. It can be used by people other than Lance Armstrong and often is used for practical tasks as well as exercise and enjoyment.

For the same people, please note that it is quite possible to design and live in a neighborhood or city that is not dominated by individually driven fossil fueled behemoths.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's too hot.

Anonymous said...

and it smells bad outside

Cade said...

There's a bike lane I just noticed in Lakeview, too - Robert E. Lee or Harrison, I can't remember. I saw it Sunday morning.

angels, saints, and bears oh my said...

My sister, Angels, Friars, and Thunderbolts oh my, a transportation policy guru, would enjoy your post and I will certainly direct her to it. As a person with a rockin' hairdo that does stand up well to heat, and definitely can't handle a helmet, I want to second your basic idea about moving beyond "individually driven fossil fuel bohemoths" but I also want to go beyond the bike. I myself have put my feet to work in support of my desire to both spare the air and my hair.
That said, I will be in the bike patrol on October 12th with a Saints hat protecting my dome on the way the THE DOME.

Anonymous said...

LMAO, unfortuantely NOLA will never be Denmark. I've got photos of double-decker bike racks in downtown Copenhagen. The Danes even time some of their traffic signals so the bike lane (far right) signal turns green 5-10 seconds before the car lane does - giving cyclists a head start(from stupid motorists that don't check their side view mirrors before making a right turn...)

daneeta loretta said...

I am so happy that NOLA is becoming bike friendly. When my mom asked me if we were going to get a car when we move back, I told her that PJ and I were gonna get bikes. She nearly peed herself laughing.

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

NOLA may never be as bike-friendly as Denmark, but you don't have to look to Atlanta or Houston to see how something like this could work.

But you can look to Athens, Georgia for some examples of how to get it done.

In ten years, this organization has been able to change the face of an entire city. Maybe not as big as NOLA, but NOLA's existing infrastructure (and planned improvements) are already more bike friendly at the onset than Athens' infrastructure was.

It can be done, and business can boom along with it.

George "Loki" Williams said...

With you. I ride from Uptown to the Bywater for work every day, 13 mile round trip.

Two wheels good, four wheels bad.