Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Does an event change a place?

That's what I was asking myself when I took these two pictures. My job took me to the floor of the Superdome late last week.

The first picture is a very good estimation of the actual spot on which Steve Gleason blocked the Falcons' punt on September 25, 2006. Curtis Deloach scored a touchdown, and we all screamed and jumped on each other and spilled beer and knew we had a future here. So is that physical space, that spot, different now? My friend Jay used to tell me that places are changed by what happens there; I used to argue that they are not changed. Now I'm not so sure.

The second picture is what my seats in section 635 look like from that sacred spot.


4 comments:

Chef Who Dat said...

. . . or does the place change you?

saintseester said...

or does the event change your outlook about the place?

Sophmom said...

I'm sure there were very few among us who weren't thinking about the place's history. Your perspective is particularly sweet. I remember watching on television that night in Atlanta, filled with wonder and joy that it was even happening, wanting y'all to win.

Sophmom said...

I couldn't help but think about this post today, 9/26/10. Y'all try not to kill us too badly today, please; and speaking of your job, this week, way to go, Mr. Clio, nicely done.