Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Well Said Re: Education

By David Leonhart in the NY Times:

"Republicans haven’t been willing to spend enough money on preschool, college financial aid and numerous other areas, while Democrats haven’t been willing to hold schools and universities accountable for mediocrity. "

Speaking of mediocrity, someone mentioned to me that the principal of Cohen High School in New Orleans has told the teachers there that the teachers are in their jobs there only because "they couldn't make it in the Fortune 500 world."

If that's true, that's a disgusting thing to say. Teaching is an honorable profession. I did it for years and will probably do it again for years. Almost no one I knew in teaching did it as a second choice or as a fallback.

Principals should build the professional consciousness of teachers, not tear it down. Principals should hold teachers accountable and build cultures of excellence, n0t make excuses and denigrate the potential of teachers.

1 comment:

LatinTeacher said...

A lot of my friends make fun of me for being "Country Club Steve" because I have summers off. I also work 80 hours a week during the school year. I have earned some time to attend conferences, create new materials, and recharge my batteries.

I work harder than most of my friends ever do, I take home work most nights, and I spend a lot of my "free" time working on school related projects or thinking of ways to make students' lives more fulfilling and involve them in the community. And I only work in a small private school in NJ, not Cohen.

A principal that would say something so moronic probably doesn't need to be involved in education as he exacerbates the teachers' feeling of failure rather than helping his teachers feel as though they have succeeded.

Great post, great analysis.