Sunday, June 22, 2008
As we approach Independence Day, I have been thinking about Mayor C. Ray Nagin. He deservedly gets a hard time, but I have thought recently of some things for which we should be thankful.
1. He hasn't driven drunk across the Causeway, smashed things up, and caused some low-level cops to get in trouble for things he did.
2. He hasn't been caught wearing a diaper with prostitutes or been caught hiring prostitutes.
3. He hasn't publicly campaigned against pay raises for legislators and then wimped out about it.
4. He hasn't shot a guy in the face.
5. He's not in jail, like a former Illinois governor, or probably on his way to jail, like the current Illinois governor.
6. He hasn't used a wide stance in an airport bathroom.
8. He hasn't invested in the same company as the Bin Laden family.
Faint praise. Not world class. But I'm trying to be positive here.