Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Time To Be Who We Are, South Louisiana and Mississippi Gulf Coast

I have too much to do at work, but I am pausing to write this because it must be done.

I encounter many people who are in a bit of a tizzy because Gustav is out there.

Let's just take a breath and remember who we are:

We are proud, world class, resilient people.
We are the national experts on natural and manmade catastrophes.
We who remain have shown we can deal with anything.

The movies have one Indiana Jones.
The region of Metro New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast (what Berto and I like to call the Republic of West Florida) is populated by hundreds of thousands of Indiana Joneses.

Do we WANT bad things to happen?  Of course not.
Is this a bit of a pain?  Of course.

Can we handle this?
YES. WE. FREAKIN'. CAN.

Hana and Ashley Morris bought a house mere days after Katrina and the levee failures did their deeds to our city.
Hana and the young Morrises are still here, thriving.
As are we all.

So let's do our thing: show the world (and that large nation to the north of us) how to do this.
Come what may, we can take it.  Calmly.  With dignity.  With care for one another.

P.S. I have consulted with the old marks-a-lot of Nash Roberts.  It said something about way west of New Orleans.

8 comments:

judyb said...

Great post. I'm linking to it, because it will help others, I think.

Cooler heads will prevail.

I hope your Nash marks-a-lot is correct!

Anita said...

Excellent and amen.

Nabil said...

Be careful -- and leave with plenty of time, like Saturday. Let's hope for west...hell, I never cared much for the west bank anyway...

Anonymous said...

ok - I'm all for cooler heads prevailing, but please make sure you and the team are out of harms way if Gustav makes landfall in your 'hood.

I know that none of y'all want to come too far away, but there will be soft beds and cold beers and happy cousins all around if you ever do need or want to come.
Cousin Cam

saintseester said...

Live strong; be strong. Be Safe. We love all y'all.

daneeta loretta said...

Well written, my friend. And, thanks for the reminder of Nash. Watching closely from London. We are scheduled to fly out on the 8th. I hope ya'll are still there to greet us.

Hana said...

I love you man!

Yes, we are here and we are not leaving because this is our home. It is that simple. It is HOME, not just a city.
Now, we ARE leaving on Sat/Sun just because the little critters have to be safe. But we ARE coming back - flooded or not.

Hana

Leigh C. said...

Amen. selah.