Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Coverage from World Class New Orleans

Dr. Mrs. Clio and I went to vote at 6:05 a.m., and you see above what we found. That's a line that stretched out of the Xavier Prep parking lot and all the way around the block. Normally we walk right into the cafeteria and stand behind maybe one person.

I'm really glad people are getting out. (We decided to vote later today.)

In other news, my sense that Lusher kids are not really representative of the general population was confirmed when Cliette told me the voting results from her homeroom: 20 votes for Obama, 4 votes for Nader, 1 vote for McCain. Fifth graders, I think, tend to vote in packs--once the tipping point is reached for one candidate, they all go like lemmings.


I really am stirred up about the dawn of something new, or renewed, in the United States of America. If we really are a nation of entrepreneurial, pioneering spirit, we have our chance to do something special now.

I haven't done much blogging lately, but I want to say that I think Americans have had a better choice in this presidential election than in any election in my lifetime. I think McCain vs. Obama is the best choice since Eisenhower vs. Stevenson in the fifties (and that was WAY before my lifetime). I really regret that McCain made such a horrible choice in Palin; I attribute that to too much listening to Dubya political operatives. I hope that after today, Governor Palin takes her rightful place as a talk show host on Fox News, giving Oprah a run for her money.

I'm pretty much over being bitter about President George W. Bush, and I am really happy that we can move past the last 8 years of a presidency marked by a deep cynicism about Americans and a frighteningly wrong mix of evangelical end-of-days-ism and power politics. I think that just as we in New Orleans are creating and re-creating something better, Americans can too.

2 comments:

Nabil said...

Yeah, too bad about the rest of the state. That was real disappointing.

daneeta loretta said...

What's important to remember about this new American era is that it is going to be about "sacrifice" and "responsibility" and "pitching in." These were words in our President elect's speech. It's up to us now. "Ask not..." and all that. It's going to be hard, and we are still heading into the next great depression. Thankfully we have a levelheaded, thoughtful, intelligent leader to get us through.