Sunday, February 08, 2009

You Gave Me Much Comfort and Joy, Blossom Dearie

I was listening to Blossom Dearie music when I read on the NY Times website that she died yesterday at age 82.

I thought I "discovered" Ms. Dearie about 10 years ago. I walked into a colleague's office, and he was playing her music. "Who is THAT?" I asked. He told me. I immediately got a Blossom Dearie greatest hits CD, and immediately my life became better. I'm not exaggerating.

Little did I know then that I had loved Blossom Dearie since I was a kid, as she was the voice in "Schoolhouse Rock" on "Figure Eight," "Mother Necessity," and "Unpack Your Adjectives."

I regret that I never got to see her perform in New York.

Wow. Wow. What a vibe. What a voice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"figure eight" was totally haunting and sad due to her voice. RIP, blossom dearie.