Friday, September 25, 2009

Thanks for Zeitoun, Mr. Eggers

I finished Zeitoun, by Dave Eggers, during my trip to New York this week.

I was on a plane from JFK to Memphis as I read the last 50 pages. I couldn't swallow, such was the lump in my throat.

I think it would be a striking read for anyone. For New Orleanians--at least for this one--it is downright overwhelming.

Eggers gets the city right; he captures feelings and scenes that we all experienced.

On top of that, though, Abdulrahman Zeitoun's story is one that most of us couldn't imagine would happen, I think. Having read the story, I now feel stupid for thinking that this wouldn't happen. It seems obvious now that it would happen, given the country we've created for ourselves.

4 comments:

Berto said...

Clean shirt, new shoes
And I dont know where I am goin to.
JUMPSUIT, BLACK tie, (black tie)
I dont need a reason why.
They come runnin just as fast as they can
Coz every girl crazy bout a sharp dressed man.

GOLD watch, diamond ring,
I aint missin a single thing.
And cufflinks, stick pin,
When I step out Im gonna do you in.
They come runnin just as fast as they can
Coz every girl crazy bout a sharp dressed man.

jeffrey said...

You're absolutely right about this book. It so well done. Perfect tone. Perfectly focused. No pretense on the part of the author. No attempt to make New Orleans a caricature. It's at the top of list of the numerous available accounts of the flood.

One thing I can't stop thinking about after reading it, though. After Zeitoun was released from prison, did he not feel some obligation to help get the men who were arrested with him released too? Eggers tracks them down and tells us what happened to them but I wonder if Zeitoun made any effort on their behalf or was just left too defeated by the whole experience.

Mr. Clio said...

Jeffrey, Great question. Those guys spent months in jail. How?

I also want to know about the mysterious guy who ended up in the cage with them at Camp Greyhound.

terenia said...

"It seems obvious now that it would happen, given the country we've created for ourselves"

-- so true.