Saturday, November 26, 2011

Some things I learned from Mayor Mitch Landrieu

1. The average postal worker at the downtown post office earns $72,000 per year. There are over 800 people who work there, and we know nobody is earning a million. That means the people who work there make a decent living. Most of them clearly make far more than I was making as a high school teacher. I'm not sure how to react to this, as I am a fan of the United States Postal Service. I almost always have a good experience when I go to the post office (feels good not to capitalize that, as one would with "Fedex" or "UPS." The post office is OURS, as Americans). However, I have to say that I feel a little bit duped having gotten two post-graduate degrees and yet making not even half of what downtown postal workers make per year throughout most of my adult life.

2. Fedex and UPS have contracts with the USPS? I did not know that.

3. I agree with the Mayor: we need a major downtown post office. Closing this one would be short-sighted.

No comments: